Power Bank: Can It Charge A Nintendo Switch? Must Read for Gamers on The Go!
If you are an avid Nintendo Switch gamer who just cannot seem to put down your favourite device – this is an article you absolutely cannot miss.
Now, if you can put down your game for just a few minutes, our power bank experts here at AUKEY will answer the all-important question: “Can you charge a Nintendo Switch with a power bank?”
According to battery life tests by reviews, the Nintendo Switch tends to last around an average of 3 hours for the average game at average settings.
If that hardly seems like enough time for your gaming session, now there is a solution – a power bank! But beware, not all power banks can do the trick though. In fact, using the wrong power bank can backfire and damage your Switch.
What Kind of Power Banks Can Charge a Nintendo Switch?
Different types of power banks come with different charge abilities and hence are suitable for charging different devices – this applies for other devices apart from the Switch too.
However specifically for the Switch, here are some things you need to take note of:
- Must have a USB-C output – which is compatible with the main input on the device
- Have more than 10,000 mAh battery capacity (in fact the more the merrier) – so that you can ensure you are able to charge the Switch (~4000 mAh battery capacity) for more than one usage
- Able to deliver 18W of power (not anything significantly less or more) – as the Switch draws 18W to power itself. Anything too much more or too little can cause potential damage to your device.
Introducing The AUKEY PB-Y37: The Ideal Nintendo Switch Power Bank
Now, to help you avoid the endless search all over the Internet for the ideal power bank that fits all the above-mentioned criteria, here’s a recommendation from us - The AUKEY PB-Y37!
Here’s how it fares for the above 3 criteria and beyond:
- Comes with not 1 but 2 USB-C outputs, and a USB output so that you can not only charge your Switch but any other compatible devices
- Comes with a 20,000 mAh battery that can allow you to charge your Switch up to 4 times! And not to mention it is well within airplane regulations – so you can bring it along during your travels too.
- Able to deliver 18W of power via USB-C – perfectly compatible with the Switch so it won’t harm your precious gaming device in the long term. Not to mention it also comes with built-in safeguards to protect not only your Switch but any other device from overcharging and overheating.
- Has a lithium battery – will automatically stop charging your device when full so you can leave it connected.
- Weighs just 370g, even lighter than a bottle of water, this power bank is super easy to carry around without adding too much weight.
Best Practices When Charging Nintendo Switch with Power Bank
Now that you know that the first step to avoiding damaging your Switch’s battery is to ensure you use a compatible power bank, here are some additional steps you can take to help prolong your power bank’s battery life through good charging practices:
- Frequent and shallower charges are less stressful for the battery. Avoid deep charges e.g., from 0% all the way to 100%.
- Charge at room temperature and not under the hot sun as high temperatures are damaging for the battery
Excited about getting a portable power bank to power up your gaming needs? Head over to our online store to get yours today!